Friday, August 6, 2010

Why still happy?

It literally just dawned on me yesterday morning that I wanted to blog. I'd have to attribute this desire to the wonderful irishautismaction.blogspot.com which deservedly won the irish blog award and continues to inspire me since I first logged on.  It's also got a lot to do with the amount of time I actually spend reading inspirational blogs in my efforts to acquire happiness and banish sadness. Hence the title of this blog.

Up until I had a kid with a disability, I could never understand how families with a disabled child could look happy, in fact be happy. It's taken me a significant amount of time to accept the suffering that comes with autism, to work with the emotions of anger, grief, sadness, frustration - often in the space of one day and find that ultimately I am 'still happy' and so is my family.

Now, don't get me wrong. I can have truly rotten days.

And so, I've set myself a challenge - to embrace a blog that includes my love of philosophy and my son with his challenges of moderate autism, severe adhd and dyspraxia. The practical aspect of the philosophy will be that I will only post good intentions, good thoughts, good deeds, good events. So, the challenge for me is to find the good , to be 'still happy', no matter what the day brings. 

I'm very lucky today to be blessed with an easy start.  I booked Simon in for 5 horseriding sessions with Festina Lente in Bray. Yesterday, was a disaster - major meltdown, worse than I've witnessed in a longtime, despite the fact he really does want to be a cowboy like Bob in 'Built to be Wild' - for Bob afiscionados, this really is one of his best! I even received a kick in the face. Well today, while only able to walk the horse and occasionally give it a shy pat or two, Simon told me 'i was the best mama in the world'. Now, there I was daydreaming away that he'll be able to sit on the horse by session 5, when his comment made me realise, that he was really enjoying himself -  walking the horse, talking to her and just being there. He was truly present and yet I was not. |I was wishing for more. He taught me to do what 'festina lente' truly means - hasten slowly.

Navajo

If you fancy a bit of of general good news...I've been on a media fast since the big R word...why not subscribe to GIMUNDO. It's free and will give you a good news story everyday from somewhere in the universe. I love the videos especially the concentration camp survivor and relatives singing and dancing away to Gloria Gaynor's I will survive outside camps he endured. Also, James May's Lego house is a must for any aspies out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment